Saturday, September 18, 2010

Swann Lounge & Cafe at the Four Seasons Hotel

Logan Square, Philadelphia -- This intimate dining room sits right in the middle of the famous Fountain Restaurant at the Four Seasons Hotel in Philly. Yeah, that's right. The one that won the Forbes Travel Guide's 2010 Five Star award and was rated the number one restaurant in Philadelphia by Zagat Survey. Unfortunately, The Fountain is probably too posh to participate in restaurant week, so I ate at the Swann Lounge instead...which was not a bad alternative. One of the girls I ate with mentioned that the menu for both restaurants are actually pretty similar, and that both are under the same executive chef.

Appetizer
: Late Season Tomato Salad (Burrata, Toasted Pine Nuts, Aged Balsamic) - This was basically a caprese salad on top of a slice of crostini, but I liked the addition of the pine nuts. I thought it was the perfect portion for an app since it definitely left me wanting more.

Crispy Berkshire Pork Belly (Peach, Watercress, Smoked Lancaster Honey) - Some of the girls also tried this app and said it was very delicious. Although I did not taste it, the presentation was beautiful and the pork belly looked very, very tender.

Entree: Alaskan Halibut Cheeks (Anson Mills Grits, Asparagus, Jersey Crab Jus) - I thought this dish was very tasty, although I think I ended up being more fond of the grits and asparagus than the "cheeks". Dont get me wrong, the halibut was very delectable and flaky, but I had never had grits before and I was surprised with how they tasted. I know grits is a southern comfort food that I always associate with breakfast, so I assumed it would be more like oatmeal or something. Man, was I wrong. The grits in this platter were so creamy and smooth, the taste and texture almost reminded me of a mix between risotto and mashed potatoes. Yum, right? I will definitely have to try grits next time somewhere else to see if this is really what I've been missing for all these years. Maybe next time I stop at a Cracker Barrel! (side note: Isn't it strange that almost all Cracker Barrels are located at rest stops along major highways? Weird. I mean, sometimes I'm really craving it in the city and I just don't feel like driving aimlessly down 95 until I see a sign for one.)

Dessert: Baked Chocolate Bourbon Mousse with Spiced Pear Compote - D-E-L-I-S-H. The baked mousse looked like a fudge brownie and was so rich and the dollop of whipped cream on top made it even sweeter. The spiced pear compote was super yummy too and tasted like fall (mmm...cinnamon!).


Overall Grade: A+. I thought this place was so beautiful, classy, and delicious. The only downside was it's a little pricey, but that just means it can be saved for special occasions and it's a bargain for restaurant week. Be prepared to shell out some dough for drinks too (my cocktail was $14). But even though you may spend a little more here than you would at some other restaurants, you're also paying for the ambiance and the service. Nothing beats swanky bathrooms with individual folded cloth towels and pre-wrapped gourmet madeleine cookies as parting gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment